- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions ( finely chopped)
- 2 tomatoes ( chopped)
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 5 medium potatoes ( boiled and mashed)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon bacon fat
About This Recipe
“Hearty, stick-to-your-ribs pie.”
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the beef in oil.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain most of the accumulated fat from the pan.
- Sauté onions until tender, and then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and stir in herbs and seasonings.
- Return brown meat to skillet and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all ingredients to an ovenproof casserole.
- Top with mashed potatoes (scoring them with a fork.) Dot with butter and bake uncovered in 375-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
Cottage Pie (authentic Irish recipe),